Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Half Spoon of Rice: A survival Story of the Cambodian Genocide By Icy Smith Illustrated by Sopaul Nhem



I bought this book when I was in Cambodia two years ago.  It's a beautiful country to visit and the driver that we hired survived the Khmer Rouge as a young child.  Because of it, he didn't have much of an education but his children and his grand children do have a prominent education.  I was in a book store and found this book.  It was wrapped in plastic and I asked the sales ladies if they could open the book.  It was the first time they saw the book.  Even thought we didn't have much of a common language, the pictures told the story of their history and the clerks were soaking the images in.  It's a hard story, genocide but this book does offer hope and would be fine in a library, especially in world history classes. I'll never forget when I bought this book and treasure the memories of how people connect to their country's history.  Get the book.