Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Cracker by Cynthia Kadohata



I love dogs. I had the best German Shepherd growing up and this story reminded me of that dog. The author did her research well, which is later explained in the back of the book.  It is told in two view points, the dogs and his owners in alternanting voice depending on the situation. 

The story starts with Willie and his family having to downsize to an apartment and having to find a new home for Cracker, their German Shepherd.    The Vietnam war is going on and the army needs dogs to find traps and the enemy.  This the story of how they train the dogs, and the work that they do. 

I thought the story started a bit slow and awkward but once the dog was drafted to the army the story became alive, I was in to the story.  Staying up late to finish the book.  I would recommend it.